Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stress Free, sort of......

At the end of my last post I mentioned something about leading a more stress-free life.  As always, it's easier said than done....

I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a high amount of stress in my life.  I consider the things I stress about to be normal.  Getting all the things I'd like to get done for the day done; getting the kids out the door and to school on time; keeping things picked up around the house (more on that in a minute); being the person to constantly remind everyone of what they need to have done for the day; etc....    I'm also one of those people that over-analyzes everything.  Not really sure why this is, but I know that I've always been this way.  Doing something, and then going over in my head about how I could have done it differently, and if I'd done it differently, how the outcome might have been.  Really pointless in the grand scheme of things, since I really can't change what I did, but hey, that's the way my brain works.  I've been extremely forgetful lately, and I feel like I spend half the day just trying to remember why I walked into a room, and what I came in there to get.  I lose my keys at least once a day, even though I have a designated spot for them (I 'forget' to put them there when I walk in the door).

I'm slowly realizing that a lot of my stress is because I'm so unorganized.   Let me preface this next part by saying that I've never been organized to any extent.  When my mom asked me to clean my room as a child, my solution was to shove stuff either under my bed or in my closet.  Open door, see clean room = problem solved, right?  My mom was onto my tricks, and I eventually had to really clean, otherwise she would come in and do it for me.  I hated this, because I treasure my privacy - it was a good motivator.   Once I got out on my own though, that was a different story....

I can for the most part manage to keep the kitchen/living room/dining area picked up to Jeremy's standard.  That isn't to say that I don't have piles of papers stashed randomly in a box under the cabinet, or boxes of papers that I need to go through in the laundry room (of all places).  My room, or should I say 'our' room is the worst.  My side of the room looks like an episode of Hoarders - I'm never in there long enough during the day to put stuff away, and by the time the boys go to bed and I have the time I need - Jeremy's in bed for the night......argh!    It's a losing battle to tame that area, but I feel like if I'm going to start being more organized (i.e. have a place for stuff, and actually put it in that place), I need to start with that room.   Then maybe it would give me a kick-start for deep cleaning/organizing the rest of the house.

I've decided to make it my goal for the next month.  We'll see if this leads to less stress in the process (or more, depending on how the organizing goes (I tend to be a little OCD at times)), or not.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment